Best Laptop to buy for Freebsd Without OS?

Brian Callahan korszca at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 21:22:11 UTC 2011

<snip>

> After deciding I could not really buy a computer locally, I ordered my latest machine from "Freedom Included, Inc" from in the US.
> http://freedomincluded.com/product/lemote-yeeloong/
>
> It is a MIPS-based subnotebook shipping with gNewSense (Linux distro). I don't think it is what the OP was looking for since it won't even run Windows without qemu (3hour+ compile for all targets). It is also a relatively small machine (netbook size). I am also not sure if the wireless would be supported in freeBSD.
> freedomincluded at freedomincluded:~$ lsusb
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
> Bus 004 Device 003: ID 0bda:8189 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8187B Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Adapter
> Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0bda:0158 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. USB 2.0 multicard reader
> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
> (Camera not listed)
>
> Regards,
>
> James Phillips

I highly doubt the OP wants a Yeeloong. I have two (and cannot
recommend Dan enough, he's a very cool guy) and I love them, both
running OpenBSD. They don't run FreeBSD, kfreebsd-yeeloong
notwithstanding (it was a GSoC project), however the wireless would
work just fine, it's a urtw(4), which has been supported since 8.0.
Actually, everything on the computer *would* work if FreeBSD was
ported to it, but this is a non-trivial task and simply isn't going to
happen until there are people willing to make it happen.
With that said, the Yeeloong is not a good recommendation for anyone,
with the exception of someone who wants to buy a nascent, possibly
(hopefully) emerging architecture, to play with or to port software.
Or someone who cares that much about free software and doesn't care
about the limitations of the architecture. This isn't what the OP
wants.

~Brian