wine questions

Fred fred at blakemfg.com
Wed Feb 16 18:57:53 UTC 2011

On 01/27/11 20:47, Warren Block wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2011, Fred wrote:
>>>
>> I am interested in the Xeltek SuperPro-5000.  This unit will alsowork
>> stand-alone with a CF card programmed by the PC in addition to usb.
>> I believe the user software downloads a set of programming parameters
>> and the file to be programmed rather than driving the programmer
>> directly or otherwise do low level hardware stuff.  I am going to ask
>> Xeltek if they will give a refund if I can't get the unit working in
>> a reasonable time.  If it doesn't work I would otherwise be out of
>> $1500.  I will not use Windows.
>
> There's a downloadable version of the software on the site.  If that
> works acceptably, the final hurdle would be whether it can communicate
> with the programmer by USB.  The site says it's USB 2.0 and installs
> drivers on Windows, which doesn't bode well for the Wine/FreeBSD
> setup. It may work, although you have to expect that any support call
> will blame problems on the non-standard setup.
>
> It might be easier to start with open software and choose a programmer
> that is supported by it.  For instance, devel/avrdude supports some
> faster programmers.  Depends on what you need.

I downloaded the programmer software and wine installed it without any
problems (350 MB!).  The software seems to run ok so far under wine.  So
the remaining issue is the USB connection.  I found the USB port in /dev
but to make the link I also need to know what Windows calls the USB port
so the programmer software can find it.  If one plugs a non-storage USB
device into Windows without installing any specific driver, what does
Windows call the USB port?
Best regards,
Fred