Redux

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Feb 15 00:12:23 UTC 2011

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 15:38:28 -0800, Rem P Roberti <rem at remdog.net> wrote:
> I need to ask this question again in the hopes that something will come
> of it.  In the process of going through an update (I finally got that
> sorted out) all of my partitions were renamed.  Here they are:
>
> Filesystem               1K-blocks       Used       Avail      Capacity
>        Mounted on
> /dev/label/rootfs0    507630         326734   140286       70%
>           /
> devfs                                  1               1          0
>     100%                /dev
> /dev/label/var0      1012974         170386   761552       18%
>          /var
> /dev/label/usr0     33292236       9358560 21270298     31%
>    /usr
> linprocfs                          4                   4          0
>      100%    /usr/compat/linux/proc
> /dev/md0                789518                 16     726342      0%
>                /tmp
>
> As you can see, root, which was once /dev/ad0s1a, is now
> /dev/label/rootfs0, and /var, which was once /dev/ad0s1d, is now
> /dev/label/var0.  Along with these changes the /etc/fstab was
> automatically modified to allow the boot process to take place.  Can
> someone give me a heads up as to what is going on here.

Seems that you - or something - did make the switch from
device names to labels. Maybe your kernel now includes
GEOM functionality for work with labels? But I don't know
of a process that changes /etc/fstab automatically...

You can still use the device names for the /etc/fstab
entries, you just need to make sure that you select
the correct names (as you described above). Then there
should be no problem as labels are optional.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany