Debian GNU/kFreeBSD

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sun Feb 13 07:56:36 UTC 2011

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 10:12:05AM +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:

> My question is: WHY need 7 DVDs??? DVDs?? Even M$ does not do such a crazy
> thing with its bloat-ware!! FreeBSD ships 1 DVD.
> What is it that this Debian GNU/kFreeBSD ships in those 7 DVDs?

It's probably just that portion of the complete Debian APT archives that
has been compiled for the kFreeBSD variant of Debian.  Those who want the
complete set of archives on hand, for some version or other, rather than
having to connect to the Internet every now and then to get packages,
might find it handy.  I've never used Debian (or any other open source
OS) that way, though.

Keep in mind that Debian's package archives have more software in them
than any other OS software management system archives -- though I think
FreeBSD is a not-too-distant second place.

Also . . . do you think that top-posting helped?