Why does my 8.2-RC3 dvd1 boot DOS?

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 03:59:20 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Chuck Bacon <crtb at cape.com> wrote:

> I downloaded it yesterday.  Here's the facts:
>
> 1. md5 matches CHECKSUM.MD5
>
> 2. When I boot off the BIOS, it takes a half minute or so, and
>   then: voila!  PC-DOS boots, and for all the world look as
>   though it will boot a larger system; except it doesn't have
>   a clue.
>
> Here's the hypothesis: The FreeBSD-8.3-RC3 boot loader doesn't
> satisfy my BIOS, and the BIOS looks through the dvd until it finds
> one of the DOS boot loaders provided by some fdisk variant.
> Any ideas why?
>
> If nothing else, I'll download disc1.  Praps that'll work!
>
> Many thanks,
>        Chuck Bacon -- crtb at cape.com
>                ABHOR SECRECY -- DEFEND PRIVACY

In FreeBSD DVD , there is NO any PC-DOS .

Please , check your BIOS boot device sequence list .
In that list CD/DVD drive should come before HDD , if it exists in that list
.

If CD/DVD drive is listed before HDD , but it is NOT booting from DVD :

Your DVD is NOT burned properly , or ,
your BIOS is NOT able to boot from DVD . In that case CD may be used .
For that case , manual of your computer may be helpful to understand its
booting ability .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk