Running Xsane as user

Rem P Roberti remegius at comcast.net
Thu Feb 3 21:41:29 UTC 2011

Boy, this kind of problem has been following around lately.  When I
attempt to start Xsane as user I get an error message telling me "No
device available."  One of the help options states that the permissions
for the device file may not allow its use---try as root.  Naturally,
when I start the program as root it recognizes the scanner and works
perfectly.  But I sure don't want to run this program as root.  I
thought that I had all of my permissions taken care of in
/etc/devfs.conf, but apparently I don't.  Either that or it really isn't
a permissions problem to begin with, in which case I'm not sure where to
start looking for a solution.

Rem