FreeBSD on Dell r210 (SAS 6/ir)

Sergio de Almeida Lenzi lenzi.sergio at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 14:35:16 UTC 2011

Hello,

I have a dell with 2 dual xeon 6 cores, dual thread cpus (24 logical
cpus)
with that famous perc6 controller, running FreeBSD 8.2 and with
journaling FS (one partition) and 2 SAS drivers of 160GB.

The controller blocks almost all the time.. message is timeout.....

I used the mfi config utility (in the ports) and enable write cache.
it now works ok (no more timeouts) but sometimes (once a week)
it panics the system.  A fix in the gjournal appears today (cvsup)
and I hope it can fix the problem...