FreeBSD on Dell r210 (SAS 6/ir)

mailtrap mailtrap at 401.cx
Thu Feb 3 10:32:36 UTC 2011

Hi list.

We are looking for a small, cheap, decent performing 19" server to run
FreeBSD or possibly FreeNAS, and found the Dell R210 which suits our
needs perfectly.
However, a lot of people seem to have problems with the SAS 6/ir
controller under FreeBSD. According to what I've found on Google, it
works, but the performance is horrible. This is a complete showstopper
in this case, since the plan was to use the servers as offsite storagenodes.

Does anyone have firsthand experience with the SAS 6/ir, or the PERC
S100 in the somewhat more expensive Xeon version of the R210?
Or does anyone know of another server with similar size, that is 19"
wide and only ~40 cm deep?