mutual forwarders in ISC BIND

Peter Andreev andreev.peter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 07:33:19 UTC 2011

2011/12/29 Victor Sudakov <vas at mpeks.tomsk.su>:
> Victor Sudakov wrote:
>>
>> > Victor, we researched this topic and learned that response time highly
>> > depends on distance between user and resolver, while cache influence
>> > on this value is lesser.
>> > So I advice you to keep all as is.
>>
>> Be it so. Thank you.
>
> And the reason for the whole thread. One of the customers told me that
> 8.8.8.8 is faster than our own DNS servers which are located on the
> same 100 MBit/s LAN with them. I was shocked but it seems true, at
> least for the answers which are not yet cached.

I don't know what software google uses on its resolvers, but I suppose
something with shared or synchronizing cache. May be they also make
preventive lookups on popular domains to fill this cache. And the
reason why 8.8.8.8 seems faster - it answered from cache while your
resolver made full lookup chain.

> --
> Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
> sip:sudakov at sibptus.tomsk.ru