Problems with pkg_upgrade

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Dec 26 08:37:06 UTC 2011

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 00:05:16 -0500, David Jackson wrote:
> The fact is, I have had problems with portupgrade as well, in fact,
> portupgrade would give errors as well with not being able to download
> packages, the entire upgrade process at that point would fail. That is the
> reason I am trying pkg_upgrade.

Make sure PACKAGEROOT is properly set (typically to
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8-stable/Latest
or *amd64* respectively) and your ports tree is up
to date. You can then use portmaster with its -P and -PP
options and do a full upgrade as described in the
EXAMPLES section of "man portmaster".

> Again, things should work better than this.

It should. :-)

> Things shouldnt be such a hassle. It should work similar to ubuntu apt-get,
> where it just works out of the box.  You type apt-get upgrade and it
> automatically upgrades everything, no need to mess around,

That's basically what "man portmaster" says, even though
the options are different and allow more flexibility.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany