Files End Up Read-Only With Samba

Bill Tillman btillman99 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 14 13:20:30 UTC 2011

I am running FreeBSD-8.2-STABLE-amd64, last update was a few weeks ago. I run Samba-3.6 on this server and it has served me well for my Windows clients to store and share files. All was working fine until recently I've began to notice that whenever I save a file to this server, they always end up with permissions which force me to open them in RO mode when I access them later. The message I'm seeing on the Windows clients is that the file is locked by another user. I check and the owners of the file are root:my_user_account. The permissions are set to rwxr-xr-x. I'm not sure why the root account shows up in the ownership and like I said this was working fine before.