OT: C|Net's Download.com adware, spyware, malware hijinkx.

Ryan Coleman editor at d3photography.com
Fri Dec 9 15:47:28 UTC 2011

On Dec 9, 2011, at 9:41 AM, Chris Brennan wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Ryan Coleman <editor at d3photography.com> wrote:
> Yeah, someone on my LUG list tried to claim that the TCLUG list was the
> reason for the /. article…
>
> stupid peons…
>
> It's still not malware, it's bloatware. Why would you not go to the development
> website to get the program anyway?
>
> Some people just don't get that idea, they stumble onto a piece of software
> they like and don't bother to think much farther beyond that, as long as it
> works for them, they don't care.

I should add that I often go to download.com for things like winrar, putty, etc., but I know enough to NOT use the Adobe Downloader from adobe.com, check to make sure there's no extra stuff riding along…

We have a problem here in Minnesota with Zebra mussels. Tanker ships from Europe didn't filter their ballast water and now we have them in our lakes. They rode tankers from Europe to the Great Lakes, fishing boats from the Great Lakes to smaller lakes… and now it's an infestation.
Why? Because they were too busy to take time to figure out what they were doing. [http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives/aquaticanimals/zebramussel/index.html]