Which Lenovo Laptop?

Pierre-Luc Drouin pldrouin at pldrouin.net
Thu Dec 8 16:53:29 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Erik Nørgaard <norgaard at locolomo.org> wrote:
> On 08/12/2011 15:01, Pierre-Luc Drouin wrote:
>
>> so which current 14" Lenovo laptop is the best for FreeBSD
>> compatibility right now? Is it the T420 with the Nvidia card (Nvidia
>> card forced in the BIOS)? Sleep modes work with the T420, right? And I
>> guess Intel Wi-Fi cards are the most supported ones, right?
>

> Hi: I got an E520 and tried to install 90RC2 on it, ACPI problems with
> thermal zone 0 (-273). I got the system installed awkardly: the installer
> was useless as the console would fill with acpi error messages. Tried to
> boot live and run sysinstall on a different console but wouldn't install.
> Eventually I did everything manually.
>
> But then trying buildworld got the system hanging without any error message
> probably due to overheating.
>
> So, the final resort was to install linux .. that suck. :(
>
> I don't know the other series. Good luck and let me know.
>
> BR, Erik
> --
>

>From what I read in the past I think the T series has more support
than the other series, but maybe I am wrong. After the options that
are offered to me, it seems that the T series model I could get with a
Nvidia chipset would be the T520 with the i7 2630QM CPU and the Intel
5205 wireless card. From what I have read, the wireless card should
work fine on FreeBSD, but I have read that some people had problems in
October with the BIOS and GPT. I assume these problems do not apply
with the MBR? WHat about the sleep modes with the T520? Does suspend
to RAM and suspend to disk works?

Thanks!