BIND and LDAP support

Damien Fleuriot ml at my.gd
Wed Dec 7 20:04:37 UTC 2011

On 12/7/11 8:15 PM, Kernel Panic wrote:
> Apologies if this is not the appropriate list but I can't seem to find
> one pertaining to the installation and configuration of BIND. I posted
> the following message on the FreeBSD forums a few weeks back but have
> had no replies, so I thought I'd try here on the lists:
>
> System: FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE 64-bit
>
> Hello, I'm going to attempt to install the latest BIND port
> (dns/bind98) and have a couple of questions about the available
> install options:
>
> WITH_REPLACE_BASE=true
>
> Does this delete the base BIND version and if so would I need to edit
> src.conf to tell the compiler not to reinstall base BIND when I do a
> buildworld cycle?
>
> WITH_DLZ_LDAP=true
>
> Does this actually enable LDAP backend support or is it something
> else? The reason I ask is because there seems to be a separate port
> for BIND LDAP support but it's for an older version of BIND
> (dns/bind97-sdb)
>
> Thanks for any assistance.

Hi,

Regarding WITH_REPLACE_BASE, yes, this will make "make install" install
the files in place of the base system's ones, as opposed to in /usr/local/ .

If you do this, you will indeed want to add the following to your
/etc/make.conf :
NO_BIND= true

Regarding your LDAP question, I'm still at work and it's 9PM so I'm a
bit in a rush, but a quick google search turned up the following:
http://bind-dlz.sourceforge.net/ldap_driver.html

Regards,