Major version changes using portupgrade?

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Sun Dec 4 17:17:01 UTC 2011

On 2011/12/04, at 02:29, Sergio Tam wrote:

>> ===>  postgresql-client-9.1.1_1 conflicts with installed package(s):
>>      postgresql-client-8.4.8
>>
>>      They will not build together.
>>      Please remove them first with pkg_delete(1).  <----------------pay attention here
>> *** Error code 1
>

> postgresql-client-8.4.8
>
> make deinstall

That's the ports makefiles talking, isn't it?  In order to do that deinstall I need to also remove all of the things that depend on it... portupgrade is supposed to help me do the in-place upgrade without removing everything else first.

Even if I forced the deinstall without letting the dependencies get in the way, wouldn't that break the dependency registration (+REQUIRED_BY) for all of those packages in the future?