Usage of FreeBSD

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Dec 3 19:43:35 UTC 2011

On 03/12/2011 18:31, Charles Pitkin wrote:
> I am a amateur developer looking to build a system with FreeBSD. I will be
> using it as a virtual machine on KVM. I will be making modifications on how
> the networking is set up within FreeBSD to allow for better networking
> between vm's. I will also be modifying how FreeBSD interacts with the KVM
> kernal for the vm.
>
> After the system is built I am looking to sell it as a packaged software
> solution for enterprise and consumer use. What will I need to do and how
> will I need to go about it to make this possible?

Read this: http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/freebsd-license.html

Let me extract the pertinent phrasing:

modification, are permitted...

That's pretty much it.  No need to ask permission from anyone.  Just do
whatever you want with it.  Unless what you want to do is saw off the
copyrights and claim you wrote it yourself.  Don't do that.

By now, you're probably thinking "there's going to be a 'but' coming up
real soon now..."

But ...  some bits of the system are supplied under other licenses.
Most of them have terms pretty similar to the FreeBSD license, except
for a few bits and pieces that use the GPLv2.  You can use those freely,
but if you modify the GPL'd bits, you will have to make your modified
source code available.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3