Alternative windowmanagers

Erich Dollansky erichfreebsdlist at ovitrap.com
Sun Aug 21 00:00:37 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Saturday 06 August 2011 02:12:14 Christian Barthel wrote:

> I read on slashdot that Linus Torvalds moved from Gnome 2.3x to Xfce. It
> seems that he isn't thrilled by xfce, but it's far better than Gnome3.

what else can he do? He already wrote a kernel for them. Should he now also write a WM for them?

> As a Gnome 2.3x user too, I am also a bit nervouse. Gnome 3 is a big

Stick with it. It seems to me that this version will be available for several years from now.

> I am not very interested in eyecandy: I want a stable and fast wm (less
> memory and cpu, quick access to important places), different workspaces,
> and it should be configurable with ordinary files. Of course, It must
> run under FreeBSD.

I use Blackbox since many years. I check others once in a while but nothing can catch my attention like Blackbox.

One huge plus point for me came only recently to light. I needed many workspaces to be able to switch easy between some 150 technical documents. Not even XFCE would allow me this but Blackbox did.

Anyway, I think you are on the right track. Check some out. Keep them for some days and keep finally what does not come into your way very often.

Erich