FreeBSD WIFI USB adapter

Christian Barthel bc at nyx.user-mode.org
Thu Aug 11 21:09:38 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 04:27:29PM -0000, bud at taiotoshi.org wrote:
> > Folks:
> >
> > I have a Dell XPS Studio laptop with a broadcom wifi adapter built in.
> > I've had no luck trying to compile in the BWI option into the kernel to
> > get it to work and think that buying a cheap usb WIFI adapter is the
> > quickest way to make wireless 802.11 b/g work.
> >
> > Realizing that some chip sets are better supported than others, I was
> > hoping some list subscribers might be able to identify currently offered
> > USB WIFI adapters that they know to work.  I will then purchase one that
> > has a good track record.
> >
> > Any suggestions/comments on adapters that work would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a list with different chips...

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/8.2R/hardware.html#WLAN

"The rum(4)  driver supports USB 2.0 wireless adapters based ..."

I don't know any Dell devices, but maybe it's possible to replace the
builtin chip with another wireless lan chip.

--
Christian Barthel
Public-Key: http://bc.user-mode.org/bc.asc
Mail: bc at nyx.user-mode.org