Help with Bind Weirdness & Logging

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Fri Aug 5 19:25:22 UTC 2011

On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 11:30:39 -0700
Drew Tomlinson articulated:

> Thank you Jerry.  In my case, the FreeBSD boxes are hard wired so I
> don't think this will be a problem.  I use the wireless for two
> Windows laptops, a Lexmark printer, and a Motorola Droid X.
>
> My specific issues with the E3000 were that even though remote
> management was properly configured and enabled, I could not access it
> remotely via https.  I even tried disabling to SPI firewall with no
> success.  Also in the single port forwarding, I had enabled the
> predefined SMTP service to point to my FreeBSD box on my local LAN.
> This worked.  However I also enabled the predefined HTTP service to
> the same FreeBSD box and it wouldn't work.  Additionally, I tried to
> forward some other ports as well like PPTP and IMAP/IMAPS but those
> wouldn't forward either.  Using a packet sniffer on the PC on the
> Internet, I could see SYN packets leaving my PC but no ACKs
> returning.  This same PC had no problems accessing all defined
> services with the old router in place.
>
> I had tried what I thought was a hard reset by pressing the reset
> button on the back of the e3000 and then reconfiguring.  No luck.
> However I just read about a "30-30-30" reset on the DD-WRT wiki where
> you hold the reset for 30 sec, then power off for 30 sec, and then
> power on with reset pressed for another 30 sec.  I'll try that when I
> get home. Otherwise this thing is going back to the store!
>
> Do you have any further suggestions?

Off hand, no. I am assuming that you turned on https remote access in
the router. Did you actually confirm that? I would suggest that you
re-access your router and check it. If it is turned on, turn it off and
save the setting then exit. Now reenter the router, re-enable the
setting and save it. Now exit again. I have seen all types of devices,
and I am sure you have also, that need to be "tricked" into working
correctly.

Did you configure the router to reserve the IP address of the FreeBSD
box? If not, that could be a problem. I have seen it before. I am sure
you have; however, are you absolutely sure you have the right IP
addresses configured?

Is "DMZ" turned on? If it is set to the FreeBSD box, turn off any other
port forwarding to that box. If not, try turning it on and removing all
the other port forwarding settings. See if it makes any difference.

Without actually accessing the router all I can really do is guess. I
do doubt that there is really a problem with it though; however,
trying a new one might be a good idea. If possible, get the E4200
model. It is one "bad ass" router. Maybe someday FreeBSD will develop
drivers for Wireless-N devices so that you can take advantage of its
full potential.

If all else fails, create a detailed BUG report and submitted it to
linksys. It certainly cannot hurt and you might even get an answer
directly from their tech department.

One other idea, are you sure you have the latest firmware installed? It
wouldn't hurt to double check.

--
Jerry ✌
jerry+fbsd at seibercom.net

Disclaimer: off-list followups get on-list replies or ignored.
Do not CC this poster. Please do not ignore the "Reply-To" header.