Help with Bind Weirdness & Logging

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Fri Aug 5 18:30:46 UTC 2011

On 8/5/2011 10:55 AM, Jerry wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 10:25:13 -0700
> Drew Tomlinson articulated:
>
>> On 8/5/2011 9:40 AM, Mark Felder wrote:
>>>>
>>> What kind of firewall stuff are you doing? Is it possible you're
>>> dropping the DNS
>>> replies when they're TCP? This happens when the reply is a certain
>>> size.
>> Thanks Mark.  That may have something to do with it.  I upgraded my
>> wireless router to a Linksys E3000 a couple of days ago which is also
>> my "firewall".  This thing is a piece of crap!  Lots of weirdness
>> regarding port forwarding.  Some works.  Some doesn't.  Tech support
>> is worthless.  I'm going to take it back and exchange for another.
>> Hopefully a new one will work right.
>>
>> Anyway, put my previous router/firewall back in place and now my DNS
>> server is able to resolve.  Thus the firewalling thing was likely the
>> problem.
>>
>> Any ideas on how to get Bind logging going?
> I have experience with both the E3200 and E4200 models. I have not
> worked with an E3000 before though. In any case, they are both
> Wireless-N routers. FreeBSD does not play well with "N" wireless
> devices. In any case, have you tried doing a hard reset of the router
> and then rebooting it and then you system?
>
> In regards to tech support, at least in my experience with Linksys, if
> you don't ask a specific question you are not going to get anywhere. I
> have found e-mail support to be better or even the live support if
> available. In any case, you can and I have requested a new support
> representative and have received one. Sometimes it is just the
> individual whom you are talking to cannot understand the question
> correctly.

Thank you Jerry.  In my case, the FreeBSD boxes are hard wired so I
don't think this will be a problem.  I use the wireless for two Windows
laptops, a Lexmark printer, and a Motorola Droid X.

My specific issues with the E3000 were that even though remote
management was properly configured and enabled, I could not access it
remotely via https.  I even tried disabling to SPI firewall with no
success.  Also in the single port forwarding, I had enabled the
predefined SMTP service to point to my FreeBSD box on my local LAN.
This worked.  However I also enabled the predefined HTTP service to the
same FreeBSD box and it wouldn't work.  Additionally, I tried to forward
some other ports as well like PPTP and IMAP/IMAPS but those wouldn't
forward either.  Using a packet sniffer on the PC on the Internet, I
could see SYN packets leaving my PC but no ACKs returning.  This same PC
had no problems accessing all defined services with the old router in place.

I had tried what I thought was a hard reset by pressing the reset button
on the back of the e3000 and then reconfiguring.  No luck.  However I
just read about a "30-30-30" reset on the DD-WRT wiki where you hold the
reset for 30 sec, then power off for 30 sec, and then power on with
reset pressed for another 30 sec.  I'll try that when I get home.
Otherwise this thing is going back to the store!

Do you have any further suggestions?

Cheers,

Drew

--