easy Firewall setup

Daniel Staal DStaal at usa.net
Tue Apr 26 02:06:17 UTC 2011

--As of April 25, 2011 7:43:33 PM -0500, Antonio Olivares is alleged to
have said:

> I don't know which one to use, is there a page, howto (build a
> firewall or convert an existing one) to use here?  All I want is to be
> allowed to visit websites but don't allow anyone out there to come in
> somehow a template that I can use and try out to see if I can get it
> working.  Of course the network name might be different, but I can try
> to figure things out.

If all you want is a firewall, I'd go with this:
<http://www.pfsense.org/>

Based on FreeBSD, but they've set it up nice and put an easy-to-use
interface on top of it.

Of course if you wanted you could always just install the base system, turn
on routing, and configure pf/iptables.  There's not really a whole lot to
either one, really...  But if you don't feel like learning their syntax
right now, or doing everything via a text editor, I'd really go with
pfsense.  (Even if you *do* know their syntax, in most cases I'd go with
pfsense...)

> After figuring this out, my next big job/task is to use FreeBSD to
> make up a new router/dhcp server to give/assign ip numbers to machines
> from one and give to many.  This has been something hard that I have
> failed at several times.  Maybe with FreeBSD I can be successfull?

pfsense has a DHCP server, no problem there.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.