How to be an imap Client?

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 21 12:39:25 UTC 2011

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 07:34:32 -0400
Jerry <freebsd.user at seibercom.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 23:22:35 -0700
> perryh at pluto.rain.com <perryh at pluto.rain.com> articulated:
>
> > Jerry <freebsd.user at seibercom.net> wrote:
> >
> > > On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 10:01:28 -0500
> > > Martin McCormick <martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu> articulated:
> > >
> > > Why are you blacklisted? It seems correcting that problem
> > > would be my first priority.
> >
> > Being a university, okstate.edu has students, most of whom are
> > not in the CIS department or in any way under control of the CIS
> > department's sysadmin.  Need I say more?
>
> Actually yes. Ignoring for a moment the reply you sent me directly,
> conveniently bypassing the group forum, are you implying that these
> students are using the University's web mail for possible illegal
> actions and no one is policing that action?

He's suggesting that mail sent direct-to-mx from arbitrary university IP
addresses is unlikely to be trustworthy. I presume that when the OP
said  our "entire network is on the blacklist", he meant that the
university has put everything but it's own mailservers, into the Policy
Blocklist, and that he is trying to run an unofficial mailserver.

As regards the original question, unless I missed an RFC or Microsoft
implemented something proprietary, you can't send outgoing mail through
IMAP. The normal solution to the problem is to configure sendmail to
relay through a submission server.