can't determine sound card driver to use in /etc/rc.conf

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Apr 19 02:32:10 UTC 2011

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 20:53:41 -0500, Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Apparently it works, but I put in some small speakers, but could not
> get music to play.

On some machines, speakers do not activate automatically,
they need a "driver" that switches the connector to active.
Also check mixer settings. ALWAYS check them. :-)

> Installed mplayer from within ports,
> # cd /usr/ports/multimedia/mplayer
> # make install clean
> and tried to play some mp3's and got a codec error :(, since machine
> is 64 bit installing codecs from mplayer site does not work :(, and
> linux compatibility is not installed.

Use command line tools like madplay or mpg123 for testing.
Also consider using xmms as a versatile MP3 (and OGG/Vorbis)
media player.

> Sorry for drifting out of
> original sound problem, but I also tried to play a dvd and it failed
> to load since atapi cam was not  in /boot/loader.conf because cd/dvd
> drive is old style(not SATA)

That doesn't matter. I have parallel ATA devices here that
play nicely with ATAPICAM (mainly in use for CD and DVD
recording). But you shouldn't need to have ATAPICAM in order
to play DVDs. I know that mplayer has a configuration option
for that... maybe it's sufficient to link /dev/acd0 to /dev/dvd
(per /etc/devfs.conf) to provide the default location, or
use -dvd-device <dev> to name it on the command line. Also
make sure you have the required codecs installed. Going
through "make config" in mplayer (or mencoder) is always
a good choice.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany