GUI Suggested?

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Fri Sep 24 08:15:56 UTC 2010

On 09/23/10 18:22, Adam Vande More wrote:

 > If you tried on KDE 4.1, 4.2, then yes things have improved a lot.
4.3 was
 > pretty big update in terms of stability, and 4.4 has been far more solid
 > than not.

I tried 4.5.1 on 8.1/i386 with every port updated, on a 4-core AMD CPU
with a Radeon HD 4200:
_ base components continuosly crash;
_ there were severe rendering problems (i.e. black areas sometimes
instead of icons, windows not updating when moved, ecc...);
_ I possibly had driver problems, with some accelerations not working
(could not enable it in the system settings);
_ and everything was not just slow, but *SLOW*;
_ it messed so much with my hardware, that I could not switch back to
KDE3 without a reboot (simply restarting the X server was not enough).

I do not hold by breath for burning windows, rotating desktops or other
fancy effects, but the system was plainly unusable.

So, I appreciate the nice work, but I'll wait for some new version.
If some developer needs some info or wants me to do some test, I still
have everything installed, so I'll gladly help.

  bye
     av.