The nightmarish problem of installing a printer

Robert traveling08 at cox.net
Tue Sep 21 14:16:29 UTC 2010

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 08:58:58 -0400
Jerry <freebsd.user at seibercom.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 14:16:16 +0200
> Svein Skogen (Listmail account) <svein-listmail at stillbilde.net>
> articulated:
>
> > On 21.09.2010 13:37, Jerry wrote:
> > > The bottom line is that installing and running a printer on a
> > > Window's machine is usually far easier than on a *nix variation.
> > > Even sharing a printer on a network in a Windows environment is
> > > simpler.
> >
> > Actually ... no. Unless you are talking about the "keep HP happy by
> > purchasing ink every week" usb-printers.
> >
> > Personally, for bulk printing, and even more so for intermittent
> > printing (the kind where ink dries up and gets tossed away when you
> > use the printer once every blue moon), most users would save a _LOT_
> > of money by looking at a laser printer instead. Take a good look at
> > Xerox'es "Phaser" line (used to be tektronix phaser). They're no
> > longer pawn-your-firstborn expensive, they're reliable, and they
> > basically speak every standard protocol on the market (including
> > both Postscript and PCL).
>
> 1) I was not referring specifically to HP
>
> 2) Personally, I have never had a printer connected via USB
>
> 3) I was referring to connecting a printer via a wireless connection,
> a very common occurrence and one I employ in my home. It is also
> becoming more common in business environments since it makes
> relocating a printer far simpler.
>
> The cheapest multi-function laser recommended by you is the Phaser
> 6128MFP, an obviously loss-loser. The next version is $1500. I can buy
> a lot of ink for that. I agree that a laser printer is fine for a
> business environment; however, it would be total over-kill, and a
> gross waste of money, to install one in my home.

A couple of years ago I got very tired of buying ink cartridges. I
search and found the Samsung scx-4725fn for a very good price. Laser,
network, all-in-one. It is not color but that was not a requirement for
me.

Just hook it up to the network and create a simple /etc/printcap and
add the ip to /etc/hosts and away you go.

A quick search shows it can still be purchased for under $300 US.

http://computers.pricegrabber.com/printers/Samsung-SCX-4725FN-All-One/m34785285.html

No CUPS needed.

Robert