Exporting ZFS Pool

Pete Erickson redlamb at redlamb.net
Wed Sep 8 18:32:03 UTC 2010

** Dan Nelson <dnelson at allantgroup.com> [2010-09-08 11:49:08 -0500] **
> In the last episode (Sep 08), Pete Erickson said:
> > >
> > > Curious, neither can I (8.1-RELEASE):
> > >
> > > (f84104b2)[cyberleo at akisha /tmp/zp]$ truncate -s 256m d1 d2
> > > (f84104b2)[cyberleo at akisha /tmp/zp]$ sudo zpool create pool /tmp/zp/d1 /tmp/zp/d2
>
> Try using mdconfig to attach these files as disk devices.  "mdconfig -a -t
> vnode -f /tmp/zp/d1" and "-f /tmp/zp/d2" (you'll get two md# devices), then
> see if the zpool import command is any happier.  It may be looking for disk
> devices and not files.

This seemed to work. I was able to export the pool and reimport it
without a problem. I'll use this for testing, however, correct me if I'm
wrong, but this should still work without attaching it as a disk device,
correct?

Prior to testing this, I tried using the the files again without
mounting and I received the error stating that it was missing one of the
files. It clearly identified disk1.dd as present, but was unable to find
disk2.dd.