PDF to HTML translations

Charlie Kester corky1951 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 6 23:09:46 UTC 2010

On Mon 06 Sep 2010 at 12:02:07 PDT Warren Block wrote:
>On Mon, 6 Sep 2010, Chad Perrin wrote:
>>I've started looking at the Xpdf tools as well as pdftohtml.  Other
>>suggestions from within ports would be appreciated.  Additional options
>>other than what can be found in ports might also be useful, understanding
>>the needs I sketched out above.  The script itself is Perl, in case that
>>matters.
>
>An alternative might be to render the PDF to a relatively low-res
>bitmap.  Then the HTML becomes just an IMG.  You can do that directly
>with Ghostscript, or use ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick.

Which, if I correctly understand the description on freshmeat, is almost
exactly what pdf2html does.

http://freshmeat.net/projects/pdf2html/

I downloaded the latest version just now and tried building it.  The
build failed with some syntax errors in pbm2png.c, so if anyone wants to
add this to ports, they'll have some cleanup work to do.