Can i use tmpfs to mount /tmp ?

zaxis z_axis at 163.com
Mon Sep 6 00:17:22 UTC 2010

thanks for your suggestion!
>df -h
Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad4s3a    496M    119M    337M    26%    /
devfs          1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
/dev/ad4s3e    496M     18M    438M     4%    /tmp
/dev/ad4s3f     14G    4.8G    8.4G    37%    /usr
/dev/ad4s3d    1.4G    178M    1.1G    14%    /var
/dev/ad4s7      30G    3.6G     26G    12%    /media/F
/dev/ad4s8      30G    4.1G     24G    15%    /media/G

The /dev/ad4s3e is just 496M. so it is not worth for me to modify the
disk-level layout.

Matthew Seaman-2 wrote:

> On 05/09/2010 07:09:50, zaxis wrote:
>> The /dev/ad4s3e is used for /tmp. Now i want to use tmpfs instead of ufs
>> as
>> below
>> none /tmp tmpfs size=64M,nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0
>>
>> If i can, then how to reuse the space of /dev/ad4s3e ?
>
> There are two choices.
>
> Either mount your ad4s3e partition somewhere else as a regular
> filesystem -- you can move the mount point simply by unmounting it,
> editing fstab and then mounting the new partition.  Do that before
> mounting your new tmpfs based /tmp, or you'll block access to the whole
> filesystem on ad4s3e.  Oh, and 'chmod 755 /new/mountpoint' after you
> move it -- you don't want the /tmp defaults of mode 1777 on a normal
> filesystem.
>
> Or amalgamate the ad4s3e partition with one of the partitions
> neighbouring it on the drive.  Use bsdlabel(8) to examine and modify the
> disk-level layout.  If you join ad4s3e on to the end of the preceeding
> partition, you can use growfs(8) to expand that partition into the extra
> space.  Otherwise you'll have to newfs(8) the expanded partition and
> recover the contents from backup.  Either way, this sort of partition
> wrangling operation involves low-level fiddling in the guts of the OS
> and an enhanced potential for things to go horribly wrong, so make sure
> you've got good backups and spend some time planning exactly what you
> are going to do, even down to the extent of writing out all the commands
> you'll need beforehand.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew
>
> PS.  64MB is pretty small for a /tmp -- you might want to increase the
> size of your tmpfs.
>
> --
> Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                   7 Priory Courtyard
>                                                   Flat 3
> PGP: http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/pgpkey     Ramsgate
> JID: matthew at infracaninophile.co.uk               Kent, CT11 9PW

-----