Can i use tmpfs to mount /tmp ?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Sep 5 16:03:37 UTC 2010

Allow me a short comment regarding your /etc/fstab, not related
to your intial question. You have the following entries:

On Sat, 4 Sep 2010 23:09:50 -0700 (PDT), zaxis <z_axis at 163.com> wrote:
> /dev/ad4s7		/media/F	msdosfs	rw		0	0
> /dev/ad4s8		/media/G	ext2fs	rw		0	0

It looks like you are using the directories F and G in /media to
mount other slices of your hard disk ("primary partitions")
corresponding to specific "drive letters".

According to "man hier", the /media subtree is not intended for
that purpose. Let me quote:

/media/    contains subdirectories to be used as mount points for remov-
           able media such as CDs, USB drives, and floppy disks

This directory is often used by automounting solutions such as they
appear in KDE, Gnome or Xfce.

Now, where else would one instead mount them? In /mnt maybe?

/mnt/      empty directory commonly used by system administrators as a
           temporary mount point

No, doesn't seem to look right.

As I didn't have any need to mount FAT/NTFS partitions in my whole
life, I couldn't even suggest some directory where to mount it that
does not interfere with the well-designed and intended concepts of
the FreeBSD file system hierarchy. I had other kinds of partitions
and disks (UFS usually) mounted under /export, but just because they
were then exported via NFS right away, so the use of /export/F and
/export/G would look strange, too (but possible, as FreeBSD does not
have /export per se - it's a Solarism, if I remember correctly).
The same way, you could create any arbitrary name (/winparts, /dos,
/ntmounts or anything else) to not interfere with the expected use
of /media.

Maybe some "file system guru" cares to join my little sideshow and
explain how it is done correctly? :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany