two ata-related problems

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Fri Sep 3 13:29:37 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 09:11:02AM -0400, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> perryh at pluto.rain.com writes:
>
> > Two questions about installing FreeBSD 8.1 on a Dell Precision 420
> > (yes, I know it's old):
>
> I have a similar machine running as a lab tool.
>
> > 1. Should FreeBSD 8.1 be able to recognize a 100MB ATAPI Zip drive?
> >    I'm not finding it in the dmesg, although BIOS Setup recognizes
> >    it.  (It and a CDROM are on the secondary IDE channel; I've tried
> >    with each of them as master and either way the CD is recognized
> >    but the Zip is not.)
>
> The default kernel definitely won't, but with the vpo device enabled, it
> probably will.  There's a kernel module for that, so you can try
> "kldload vpo".

Why would you need vpo for an ATAPI device? It is only for parallell
devices.
You should only need the 'ata' and 'atapifd' devices (both of whoch are
included in GENERIC)  to handle an ATAPI Zip drive.

So, yes, FreeBSD 8.1 *should* be able to recognize an ATAPI Zip drive.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se