Undefined symbol "php_pcre_exec"

Andy Wodfer wodfer at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 17:34:54 UTC 2010

Hi FreeBSD-Questions-readers,
This question is not exactly FreeBSD, but since I'm running FreeBSD 8.0
RELEASE on this server I was hoping this community would be able to give me
some help.

I'm trying to install the latest version (3.8.2144) of ResourceSpace (
http://www.resourcespace.org/ - open source digital assets management)  on a
FreeBSD 8.0 server running the latetst version of Apache 2.2.16, PHP5.3.3
and mysql 5.1.45.

On the first installation html page (/pages/setup.php) I fill inn all the
fields (database user, name, host and path to binaries etc) and click Begin
installation. This is as far as I get.

In Firefox I get a download window asking me to save or open setup.php, in
Safari I get an error message and in IE I get IE cannot display this page
error.

So I begin to dig... Tried several databases/user/passwords, with or without
paths to binaries, but still the same problem. So I check my http error log
and I notice that every time I click "Begin installation" I get a line with
this in my logfile:

My http error log shows this line every time I click "Begin installation":
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/lib/php/20090626/filter.so: Undefined
symbol "php_pcre_exec"

So I thought maybe my PHP installation is broken or I have missed some
modules. Tried reinstalling (with make rmconfig first), I even installed all
modules and did the same with Apache - several times. Problem still there.

So I start search for an answer and a Google search comes up with a
reference to /usr/ports/UPDATING where it says something like php_pcre is
from version 5.x now a part of the php core and can't be installed alone as
an
additional package to PHP. Could this have anything to do with my problems?

I'm running out of ideas here and I was hoping someone could help me out or
give me some pointers..

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,
Andy