Is there any way of transfering my excellent PDF file into plain HTML

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Tue Oct 26 20:40:18 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 10:03:01PM +0200, Roland Smith wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 12:30:20PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> > >
> > > This is simply because HTML is not typesetting-capable. Depending
> > > on the source of the PDF file, it may help to convert from THAT
> > > format instead from PDF. E. g. if you have a .tex (LaTeX) file
> > > that has been the source of the PDF file, you can use a converter
> > > from LaTeX to HTML, often with acceptable results.
> > >
> > > The HTML concept, especially when incorporating CSS for formatting,
> > > _can_ be used to gain a bit typographic quality, e. g. by defining
> > > parameters for "screen" and for "printed" media. Still it suffers
> > > from things like maintaining good grey values, hypenation and
> > > ligatures.
>
> You can add proper justification to the list that HTML doesn't do well!
>
> > 	Hmm. The ligatures that looked so great in my .tex/PDF output
> > 	got lost.
>
> Very few programs do ligatures well. If you're using unicode text, you can use
> them directly in your text, like this: ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
>
> How well these look depends on the fonts used. I've got a whole list of handy
> unicode characters on my webpage. See the entry marked 2010-10-16.
>
> >       Only that somehow, HTML4 can read the hex code that
> > 	abiword's html created.  :-)   Also, the `` and '' look great in
> > 	Times.  I fixed the page numbers--all had to go away; I edited
> > 	the chapter headings--all by hand.  What's left are the hundreds
> > 	of broken paragraphs.
>
> You might fare better by taking the TeX souce, run it though detex(1) and use
> markdown [http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/] do create HTML.
>
> > 	What utility take a LaTeX file -> HTML?  ((Be nice to have both
> > 	*strictly professional typeset* and then HTML.  I can add
> > 	indents for AE style paragraphing, and much more.  Fix the
> > 	hyphenation, etc.
>
> Next to the obvious textproc/latex2html? :-)

	Yeah, found it with locate!  And found some very interesting
	results.  I haven't check my .tex source, but the latex2html
	produces some **very** interesting results.

	In my lates j.html file there are hundreds of "broken
	paragraphs" such as:

		She stopped and
		turned around.

		"What?" he said.

		"I just thought I'= taking the
		wrong course."

	And so on.  There is a "<br>" embedded in hundreds of
	paragraphs.  Now I  have the output from latex2html to check
	against, things can be that much easier.  Do you or does any
	regex wiz have a way of catching embedded <br>'s within
	sentences?

	It might save me.  It would certainly make things _easier_!
	I'll play around with /[a-zA-z]<br><[A-Za-z].   Hope the
	&gt; and &lt aren't a problem in regexland....  :-)

	thanks much,

	gary

    The 7.90a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php
                           http://journey.thought.org