Netbooks & BSD

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Wed Oct 20 17:33:35 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 08:26:14AM +0200, Uffe Jakobsen wrote:

> On 20/10/10 04.29, Gary Kline wrote:
> >

> >	$150 is seriously in my price range [!]  But what about the
> >	optical drive?  If I can buy one on sale and install FBSD from a
> >	CD or DVD, do all optivcal drive fit all notebooks?
> >

> >	With a few things that I probably will buy.  An optical, a 16 or
> >	32G SSD ...&c.)  So if there is a fire-sale at Costco or
> >	<<wherever>>  for an HP 9" or 10  Atom notebook, will I be able
> >	to use another vendor's optical drive?
>
> An optical drive will propably not fit in side a 9" or 10" notebook
> (netbook)...
>
> If you are going for a netbook I'd go for an external USB optical
> drive - all netbooks that I've come across can boot from external
> usb medias.
>
> Personally I prefer to install stable FreeBSD from USB memory stick.
> Since 8.0 FreeBSD has shipped a "memstick" disk image that nicely
> fits into a 1G USB memory stick.
>
> See: http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/8.1/FreeBSD-8.1-RELEASE-i386-memstick.img
>
> /Uffe

	Sure, the optical uses [I think] a USB connector.  Pretty sure
	that all these tiny "toys" are made at one factory! and then
	labeled by the vendor.  If all the opticals are essentially
	the same, then great.  --Re memory sticks, I have never used
	them.  It is probably as-simple as using a CDROM or DVD; I'll ck
	out the URL.

	gary

    The 7.90a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php
                           http://journey.thought.org