Too many binary packages are missing

b. f. bf1783 at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 14 03:42:16 UTC 2010

On 10/14/10, Yuri <yuri at rawbw.com> wrote:
> On 10/13/2010 17:24, b. f. wrote:
> My system is 8.1-stable and portupgrade looks at
> http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8.1-stable
> No sure what is packages-8-stable, shouldn't it be the same?

As far as I know, there are no packages for 8.1-STABLE on the project
servers, although probably both the packages for 8.1-RELEASE and
8-STABLE will work in your case.  8.1-STABLE is closer to 8.1-RELEASE
than it is to 8-STABLE at this point (the release engineering team is
hoping to release 8.2 around the end of the year), so if you want to
be conservative, use the (older) packages for 8.1-RELEASE.  Of course,
you can also build your own packages via Ports.

> System should at least have binaries of all packages that are required
> to install kde4/gnome/firefox/thunderbird -- major x11 environments and
> programs people use.

There are, at least for the supported releases, and for snapshots of
9-CURRENT and 6,7,8-STABLE.  Occasionally the latest version of a
commonly-used package breaks on -STABLE, but it is usually fixed
fairly quickly.

b.