Too many binary packages are missing

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 03:32:31 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 10:18 PM, Yuri <yuri at rawbw.com> wrote:

> My system is 8.1-stable and portupgrade looks at
> http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8.1-stable
> No sure what is packages-8-stable, shouldn't it be the same?
>
> System should at least have binaries of all packages that are required to
> install kde4/gnome/firefox/thunderbird -- major x11 environments and
> programs people use.

Ha, funny.  Ealier you compared it to Debian, but failed to mention you are
running a developmental version of FreeBSD.  Trying getting all the packages
you want on Debian testing.  Depending on the exact time of your attempt,
you'll run into issues much larger than having to compile from ports.  It is
a silly expectation on your part to think FreeBSD needs to have current
packages all the time for it's developmental branches.  If RELEASE  and it's
associated packages don't work for you, be prepared to compile from source.
That's generally true regardless of your $OS.

--
Adam Vande More