mouse problems....

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Oct 11 17:31:56 UTC 2010

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 09:41:52 -0700, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
> 	I'm including the dmesg output from the server.  Is there a
> 	mouse driver I can compile that will get the mouse working on my
> 	two FreeBSD platforms?

This is not needed - the mouse driver is already in the default
kernel. For a PS/2 mouse, dmesg should show a "psm" entry, and
there should be /dev/psm0.

I think I don't see a mouse in this dmesg, so there is NO mouse.
The keyboard seems to be present.

The psm device can be configured per /etc/rc.conf using moused.
While USB mice get configured by the USB subsystem automatically,
PS/2 and serial mice do not.

Here's an example entry:

	moused_enable="YES"
	moused_port="/dev/psm0"
	moused_flags="-z 4"
	moused_type="auto"

If you're using X, it should pick up a mouse configured this
way. There should be no need to edit xorg.conf (unless you intendedly
need nonstandard settings that the autodetection magic won't get
right).

You can check if the mouse works if you move the cursor in text
mode. An arrow should be visible. If you just want to check things
without file modifying (and rebooting), you can invoke moused
directly, e. g.

	moused -d -f -p /dev/psm0 -t auto -z 4

Here, -d enables debugging messages, and -f forces moused NOT to
become a daemon, so you can ^C to purge it when done. If you see that
the settings are working properly, modify the rc.conf file as shown
above.

Compiling kernel & world to get a mouse working, bah... :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany