IPv6 rtadv on FreeBSD 8.1?

Neil Long neil at cymru.com
Sat Oct 9 17:01:53 UTC 2010

Not specifically related but I just worked around an issue with a Dell
laptop with the xl0 interface which has problems with 8.1.

I was experimenting with a IPv6 setup and used an old PC (big and
noisy) with the smallest install of 8.1. It worked fine as the tunnel
server and ipv6 gateway (using rtadvd). I have an old laptop which is
quieter and smaller and again installed the minimum 8.1 and used the
same config (with rl0 changed to xl0). It worked fine for its own ipv6
traffic but another test box failed to get packets routed. After much
head scratching I gave up on 8.1 and installed 7.3 ( I have all the
FreeBSD Mall subscriptions going back years) and no more problems with
xl0. Something changed with 8.1 which xl0 does not like while rl0 or
re0 interfaces are happy it seems (on the other box). I haven't tried
any debugging, sorry.

Just thought I would mention it in case someone else has issues :-)

Thanks
Neil