Netbooks & BSD

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Wed Oct 6 19:54:23 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 09:33:08AM -0400, bdsfbsd at att.net wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 15:50:12 -0400, Matthias Apitz
> <guru at unixarea.de> wrote:
>
> >El día Monday, October 04, 2010 a las 11:33:02PM +0000, Mikle
> >Krutov escribió:
> >
> >>Hello, list!
> >>I'm going to buy a netbook soon, so a question is which one.
> >>The choice is between
> >>1) Samsung N127
> >>2) ASUS Eee PC 900AX
> >>3) MSI U120-094
> >>Which one is the best for running FreeBSD?
> >>"The best" mainly is for opensource (e.g. not ndis) & stable wireless
> >>drivers.
> >>So, any good experience and suggestions?
> >>Thank you for your time!
> >
> >I have no idea about which would be the best one,
> >but I'm using right now (in the moment of typing) an EeePC 900,
> >details here: http://www.unixarea.de/installEeePC-8CURRENT.txt
> >and this is just fine;
> >
> >HIH
> >
> >	matthias
> >

> +1 on EeePC, mine being the 1000. This uses a not-yet-supported
> wireless card (rt2860), but a driver is available and seems to work
> fine:
> http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=7010
> http://repo.or.cz/w/ralink_drivers.git
> (Contrary to the troll-bait happening in a similar thread right now..)
>
> Matthias took the plunge for KDE, which I do like, but for my Eee I
> went with Xfce. Matthias' work and documentation is more thorough
> than mine, so I'm looking thorough it for ideas.
>
> BTW, the specs on the 900AX make me think that Asus is using the
> model to offload old hardware. But if the price is very low, it
> still may be worth it. Personally I prefer to have an SSD instead of
> HDD, and I wouldn't want a screen any smaller than the 10".
>
> Brian

	This brings a question to mind; maybe you know; maybe somebody
	else on the list does.  Say that I buy an EEE 10" Atom, max out
	the memory and go for a 160G hard drive.  Will I be able to
	upgrade to a SSD in a few years?

	gary

    The 7.90a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php
                           http://journey.thought.org