Netbooks & BSD

bdsfbsd at att.net bdsfbsd at att.net
Wed Oct 6 13:33:05 UTC 2010

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 15:50:12 -0400, Matthias Apitz <guru at unixarea.de>
wrote:

> El día Monday, October 04, 2010 a las 11:33:02PM +0000, Mikle Krutov
> escribió:
>
>> Hello, list!
>> I'm going to buy a netbook soon, so a question is which one.
>> The choice is between
>> 1) Samsung N127
>> 2) ASUS Eee PC 900AX
>> 3) MSI U120-094
>> Which one is the best for running FreeBSD?
>> "The best" mainly is for opensource (e.g. not ndis) & stable wireless
>> drivers.
>> So, any good experience and suggestions?
>> Thank you for your time!
>
> I have no idea about which would be the best one,
> but I'm using right now (in the moment of typing) an EeePC 900,
> details here: http://www.unixarea.de/installEeePC-8CURRENT.txt
> and this is just fine;
>
> HIH
>
> 	matthias

+1 on EeePC, mine being the 1000. This uses a not-yet-supported wireless
card (rt2860), but a driver is available and seems to work fine:
http://repo.or.cz/w/ralink_drivers.git
(Contrary to the troll-bait happening in a similar thread right now..)

Matthias took the plunge for KDE, which I do like, but for my Eee I went
with Xfce. Matthias' work and documentation is more thorough than mine, so
I'm looking thorough it for ideas.

BTW, the specs on the 900AX make me think that Asus is using the model to
offload old hardware. But if the price is very low, it still may be worth
it. Personally I prefer to have an SSD instead of HDD, and I wouldn't want
a screen any smaller than the 10".

Brian