Which OS for notebook

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Oct 6 15:12:40 UTC 2010

On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 15:31:58 +0100, Mark Blackman <mark at exonetric.com> wrote:
> It's derived from a server/workstation OS and I assume the number of
> FreeBSD deployed servers wildly outnumbers the desktop/notebook
> installations and the tag line is "The power to serve", so there's
> a strong server bias.

This is basically (because historically) correct. Still, FreeBSD
is considered a multi-purpose OS which is not restricted (!) to
server use.

> However, lots of people of have put a lot of great work in to expand
> the desktop/notebook options for FreeBSD, but it's a big mountain to climb.

That's true. The more "advanced" (often means: incompatible and not
standard-compliant) devices get, the less support can be offered by
FreeBSD. One of its main advantages is that it can turn older laptops
and desktops into usable systems that would otherwise be considered
"totally outdated". With each step in its OS development, FreeBSD
usually gets faster and better (on the same hardware), in opposite
to many other OSes.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany