Upgrading autoconf

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 14:35:38 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Daniel Bye <
freebsd-questions at slightlystrange.org> wrote:

> migrating.

> > > I'd go for 8.x as soon as possible. It'll be a while before 9 is ready
> for
> > > production, and when it is released, it should be pretty straight
> forward
> > > upgrade from 8.x using the standard buildworld cycle, provided your
> setup
> > > isn't too outlandish!
> > >

> > Update 6.4 to 8.x??  Or you mean some upgrade path like install 8.x and
> then
> > migrate services?:-)
>
> Since you're crossing two major versions, I'd go for a clean install. You
> could conceivably go straight to 8 using buildworld, but I think the safest
> and simplest course of action is to take good backups and start from
> scratch. As for going from 8.x to 9.x, that should be pretty easy, if, as I
> said, your setup isn't too far from the default. But of course, only you
> can
> make that call.

My servers are pretty easy to migrate. It's just a case of a fresh install,
install the applications, migrate the configs and data/databases since I try
and keep up to date with the application versions as much as possible. The
only thing that changes significantly is the base system.
I will go for a clean install. Sometimes back I saw some instructions to
upgrade upwards (6.x ->7.x ->8.x) but I cannot find them anymore, although
the only time to do those are when the system is in the room next:-)

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,