Upgrading autoconf

Daniel Bye freebsd-questions at slightlystrange.org
Fri Oct 1 14:11:14 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 03:02:10PM +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> > > Will migrate it to 8.x soon, by doing a new installation and migrating.
> > >
> > > Or should I wait for FreeBSD-9 ??
> >
> > I'd go for 8.x as soon as possible. It'll be a while before 9 is ready for
> > production, and when it is released, it should be pretty straight forward
> > upgrade from 8.x using the standard buildworld cycle, provided your setup
> > isn't too outlandish!
> >

> Update 6.4 to 8.x??  Or you mean some upgrade path like install 8.x and then
> migrate services?:-)

Since you're crossing two major versions, I'd go for a clean install. You
could conceivably go straight to 8 using buildworld, but I think the safest
and simplest course of action is to take good backups and start from
scratch. As for going from 8.x to 9.x, that should be pretty easy, if, as I
said, your setup isn't too far from the default. But of course, only you can
make that call.

Dan

--
Daniel Bye