Does MAC version of iTunes work on FreeBSD?

Bruce Cran bruce at cran.org.uk
Wed Nov 17 15:10:26 UTC 2010

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 14:26:21 -0500
Nathan Vidican <nathan at vidican.com> wrote:

> No. The Mac version of iTunes depends on the Cocoa application
> framework, which is a set of Objective C objects that, as far as I am
> aware of, has no compatible framework under FreeBSD.

The only vaguely compatible framework is GNUstep, which has at least
partial support for the Cocoa APIs. Apparently it would be best to start
with GNUstep and move an application to OS X though since there are so
many features from MacOS that aren't implemented. Note that this is
completely separate from binary compatibility: as far as I know
nobody's working on Mach-O compatbility on FreeBSD so applications
would need to be recompiled.

http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Cocoa

--
Bruce Cran