glibc-2.4

Chris Brennan xaero at xaerolimit.net
Sat Nov 13 00:02:44 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 6:45 PM, Michael Powell <nightrecon at hotmail.com>wrote:

> Chris Brennan wrote:
>
> > I've got a freebsd7.3 box running on an old VAIO PIII. For the most part
> > Ziggy chugs along quite well as my backup internal webserver and dns
> > slave.
> >
> > uname -a -> FreeBSD ziggy.xaerolimit.net 7.3-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD
> > 7.3-RELEASE-p3 #8: Sun Oct 24 01:53:03 EDT 2010
> > root at ziggy.xaerolimit.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ZIGGY  i386
> >
> > This evening I was fixing the very old seti at home client that the machine
> > has been chugging with for like 5 years now. The machine started out as a
> > FreeBSD5 install and has been progressively upgraded over the years to
> > it's current incarnate. While trying to use the client from this (
> > http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dl/boinc_6.10.58_i686-pc-linux-gnu.sh) I get
> the
> > following error
> >
> > [seti at ziggy ~]$ ./BOINC/run_client --attach_project
> > http://setiathome.berkeley.edu be1dc44b8692b798473781a73c1944b7 --daemon
> > ./boinc: /lib/obsolete/linuxthreads/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not
> > found (required by ./boinc)
> > [seti at ziggy ~]$
>
> There is a port devel/linuxthreads. An ldconfig -r |grep libc on an 8.1
> release system here returns: 0:-lc.7 => /lib/libc.so.7
>
> Since the above error is complaining about an .so.6 version, I'm wondering
> if you might need either/and/or the linuxthreads port installed in addition
> to misc/compat6x.
>
> > Incidentally, the same exact i686 binary works just fine on my FBSD64-8.1
> > laptop ... so what gives? I don't remember seeing a readily available
> > GLIBC solution in ports.
>
> A quick look at the ports version reveals it to be an older version than
> described above. Listed as a dependency is glib-2.24.2. It would appear to
> me that the newer version you are trying to run has been built against a
> different, albeit older and out-of-date set of libraries. My guess is it
> was
> built against FreeBSD 6.
>
> I also believe if you were to install from ports it would be linking
> against
> pthread libs as opposed to the linuxthreads in the above error. Perhaps a
> closer examination and comparison against the FBSD64-8.1 that runs may show
> missing linuxthreads and compat6x?
>
> Just a wild guess on my part here.  :-)
>
> -Mike

Wow, lots of info to digest there lol. To be honest, I just figured it was
an artifact left over from a previous major version upgrade. This box did
have fbsd-x86-6.x installed on it at once time, it started it's life with
fbsd-x86-5.x and I immediately moved into the 6-branch to learn how to
migrate major versions. I was also hoping it would be an easy fix :D. While
I am a bit crafty, a lot of concepts are still new to me. Point me to what I
should install, and I will happily install it if it will make it work. If
it's deemed to be a lost cause ... then so be it and I just may embark on
upgrading this box to fbsd-x86-8.1 and go from there.

Could you simplify your wild guess into slightly more digestible terms :D

Did you know...
If you play a Windows 2000 CD backwards, you hear satanic messages,
but what's worse is when you play it forward....

                                      ...it installs Windows 2000
   -- Alfred Perlstein on chat at freebsd.org