ZFS License and Future

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Mon Nov 8 21:58:27 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 12:01 PM, Svein Skogen (Listmail account)
<svein-listmail at stillbilde.net> wrote:
> And I'm ... all too familiar with redundancy strategies (and backups).
> Including their shortcomings. Speaking of which: Has there been any
> progress on properly backing up ZFS on FreeBSD yet? (including the metadata)

I use zetaback on my OpenSolaris systems; I don't know of any reason
it wouldn't work on FreeBSD, since it's just using snapshots and zfs
send/receive.  IMHO it's really only suitable for disaster recovery
backups, not archival, though, because zfs send streams are not
guaranteed to be compatible between filesystem versions.