Making sense out of impitool power supply readings

Peter Steele psteele at maxiscale.com
Tue Mar 30 15:42:05 UTC 2010

Is there some trick to know when the power supply sensor readings returned by ipmitool actually reflects that there is a power supply issue? Our difficulty is that no one seems to use the same sensor values when it comes to power supply reporting, and even if there are two power supplies the impitool command may only report a single status. For example, here's one box that I have:

# ipmitool sdr type "Power Supply"
PS 1 STATUS      | 61h | lcr | 10.0 | 0 unspecified
PS 2 STATUS      | 62h | lnc | 10.1 | 0 unspecified
PS REDUNDANCY    | 6Fh | lcr | 19.0 | 0 unspecified

Here's another:

# ipmitool sdr type "Power Supply"
Power Supply     | 17h | ok  | 10.0 | 0 unspecified

And another:

# ipmitool sdr type "Power Supply"
PS1 PRESENT      | 53h | ok  | 10.0 | Device Present
PS2 PRESENT      | 54h | ok  | 10.1 | Device Present
PDB PRESENT      | 55h | ok  | 21.0 | Device Present
PS1 STATUS       | 4Ah | ok  | 10.0 |
PS2 STATUS       | 4Bh | ok  | 10.1 |
PS REDUNDANCY    | 4Dh | ok  | 21.0 | Fully Redundant

And here's yet another:

# ipmitool sdr type "Power Supply"
Status           | 64h | ok  | 10.1 | Presence detected
Status           | 65h | ok  | 10.2 | Presence detected
PS Redundancy    | 74h | ok  |  7.1 | Fully Redundant

All of these are systems with dual power supplies. When we query these sensors are queried, on some systems "0" means the power supply is online and "200" means it's offline, whereas others might user 80 and 180 or 180 and 380. Is there some trick in figuring out what status values means "online", or would we have to maintain a table of motherboard/vendor versions and map these to how to interpret the PS readings?