popd to send Mail to a Mac

mikel king mikel.king at olivent.com
Thu Mar 25 21:01:52 UTC 2010

On Mar 25, 2010, at 4:52 PM, Martin McCormick wrote:

> 	I like to receive mail on a FreeBSD system and want to
> continue to do so but occasionally, I have a message that needs
> to be forwarded to a Macintosh in my office. It turns out that
> Mac's do not do normal smtp mail like sendmail but one of the
> options is pop.
>
> 	I installed popd on the FreeBSD server and want to be
> able to feed messages meant for the Mac to popd at which point,
> I should be able to retrieve them on that mac.
>
> 	The normal scenario is:
>
> Mail comes in and I read it. One message has a 20-mile-long url
> to a javascrypt-infested web site that lynx can't handle. I
> should forward this message to the Mac and there, I can use
> safari  to handle that message.
>
> 	Those are the only messages that will need to go through
> popd so I need a simple way to feed them in so the Mac can get
> them out.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
> Systems Engineer
> OSU Information Technology Department Telecommunications Services
> Group

Why not just roll out IMAP and then it won't matter? Actually if you
wanted to use fancy postfix server side filtering I'd recommend you go
IMAP anyway. Filter the 'bad' messages into their own folder. Honestly
that seems more trouble than it's worth.

Regards,
Mikel King
CEO, Olivent Technologies
Senior Editor, BSD News Network