FreeBSD and vmware

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 20:52:14 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 3:34 PM, Erik Norgaard <norgaard at locolomo.org>wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I have a dual boot Windows/FreeBSD which I use for work, I just tried today
> to create a virtual machine with vmware on windows to start up the installed
> FreeBSD.
>
> This works except for three problems:
>
> - The disk device is renamed, I suppose I can just dublicate the entries in
> the fstab, the devices not found won't be mounted, I'll get an error but
> problem solved?

I don't use vmware, but you glabel the block devices and they would then be
consistent in both.

- I can't see the network devices from vmware

> - I can't start xwindows, no monitor is found

I imagine the same hardware isn't presented to FreeBSD in the VM.  You might
need to do something like have two separate xorg.conf.  Same with NIC,
except you might be able to just have two entries in rc.conf.  What does
ifconfig says on physical hw and in VM?

> Any clues?
>
> Thanks, Erik
>

> --