multicore processing question

Zepeda, Herbey Herbey.Zepeda at atg.in.gov
Wed Mar 17 18:19:39 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm relatively new to FreeBSD and have had a hard time get to the right information relating multicore processing. I hope someone can give me some pointers.

I have a two core processor and FreeBSD (latest stable release).

Question:

If I have a c program that creates child processes with fork and exec (in a non blocking way), will the child processes be executed by FreeBSD in parallel using the different cores without me having to do special synchronization arrangements to my program?

Will I need threads instead of processes?

thanks
Statement of Confidentiality: The information in this message is privileged and confidential and it is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you are prohibited from disseminating, distributing, or copying the information contained in this message. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of the original message.