POP3 , Inetd and Handbook.

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Tue Mar 16 22:46:17 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 10:48:22AM -0600, Jorge Biquez wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I'm sorry if this sounds too stupid or basic.
>
> I moved from 4.3 to latest version and it is working fine. On $.x I
> used to have inedt active since services are basic. On new system
> inedt did not active service immediately (not here at least) so I
> enable the service like "ftpd" on rc.conf

You need to enable inetd with:

inetd_enable="YES"

in /etc/rc.conf

> POP3. I remember I read in the list that inetd is not so secure (am I
> wrong?) and that if possible should not be used but since I need
> services up I used that way. Now before studying what's the best way
> to do things I need to have a pop3 deamon running. I installed from
> ports popper but and qpopper but it does not work. What's the daemon
> for popper ? It will worlk if I enable it in rc.conf.?

I can't answer the question about the security of inetd but POP3 is
pretty insecure as usernames and passwords are in clear text.

You can find the name of your pop3 daemon by grepping the output of
pkg_info -L <qpopper> for bin. Or there should be manpages for
qpopper.

> Inetdd. I want to learn all teh new features (left the path more than
> a year) so I do not want that you solve my problem, but if you can
> point me to where and what study to learn the changes done and the
> best way to have secure and working systems I would apreciate it. I
> am reading Handbook now.

Read inetd(8) and the manpages listed in the "see also" section of
that manpage.

> On Handbook. Is a PDF copy available?. Believe it or not sometime I
> can find access to the internet and I would like to be stuyding on
> those times also.

You can install the handbook from ports: misc/freebsd-doc-es for the
Spanish docs.

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jorge Biquez

Regards,